You are here:

Universal credit


What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a benefit payment for people in or out of work.

It replaces some of the benefits and tax credits you might be getting now:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) call these legacy benefits and, in general, you can no longer make a new claim for them. If you need extra support you'll have to claim Universal Credit.

If you’re currently claiming legacy benefits, and nothing changes in your life, you'll continue getting them until the DWP asks you move to Universal Credit.

Find out more in our guide How will moving to Universal Credit affect me?
To find out more about claiming, your commitments, sanctions and working while claiming, download the ‘Universal Credit & You’ guide from the GOV.UK website

Money Manager tool for Universal Credit

Make the most of your Universal Credit payment with personalised help from our  Money Manager tool

If you live with someone as a couple and you’re both entitled to claim Universal Credit, you’ll get a joint payment paid into a single bank account.

Help for when the coronavirus increase to your Universal Credit payment ends

The temporary coronavirus (COVID-19) increase to your Universal Credit payment will end soon.


Find out when it will end and how you can manage your budget on a lower income in our guide What to do when the coronavirus increase to your Universal Credit payment ends


If this income drop will put you in financial difficulty or make it a struggle to pay off debts, you can talk to someone today, online or by phone. Our trained advisers can help you start sorting out your financial problems.


Find free, confidential advice now using our free Debt advice locator tool

England and Wales

If you get help with your rent, this will be included in your monthly payment – you’ll then pay your landlord directly.

Scotland and Northern Ireland

Your rent can be paid directly to your landlord or you can choose to pay it yourself.

Living in Northern Ireland or Scotland?

In Northern Ireland, Universal Credit works differently. Find out more on the nidirect website

In Scotland, you might be offered choices about how your Universal Credit is paid. Find out more in our guide Universal Credit if you live in Scotland

You might be able to claim Universal Credit if:

  • you’re out of work or on a low income
  • you’re aged 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 or 17)
  • you or your partner or spouse are under State Pension age
  • you and your partner or spouse have less than £16,000 in savings
  • you live in the UK.

There are some situations where you can claim Universal Credit if you’re 16 or 17-years-old, or when you’re studying.

Find out more about eligibility for Universal Credit on the GOV.UK website

Back to top

How long does it take to get Universal Credit?

It’s important you apply for Universal Credit as soon as you’re entitled, even if you don’t think you qualify.

This is because you might have to wait up to five weeks after claiming before your first payment, as it’s paid in arrears.

If you find a new job, or your circumstances change before your application is complete, you’ll be able to cancel it.

But at least you won’t have to start your application from scratch, or wait for your first payment. This could help you avoid needing to take out an advance payment.

You can apply for an advance payment if you don’t have enough to live on while you wait for your first payment.

If you're already getting legacy benefits, it's worth checking with a specialist benefits adviser before you apply to check that claiming Universal Credit is the right move for you.

This is because you can't usually move back onto your old benefits once you're on Universal Credit.

Find out more on the GOV.UK website

Money Navigator Tool

Have you got money worries because of coronavirus? If so, you’re not alone.


For instant money guidance based on your circumstances, get started with our Money Navigator tool

Assessment date and assessment period

The date you submit your claim is the date of the month your Universal Credit payment will be paid. This is called your assessment date.

Universal Credit is paid monthly in arrears. So you’ll have to wait one calendar month from the date you submitted your application before you get your first payment. This is called your assessment period.

You then have to wait up to seven days for the payment to reach your bank account.

This means it can take up to five weeks before you get your first payment.


  • Ben has lost his job and makes a new claim for Universal Credit on 22 July.
  • This makes his assessment date 22 July. It means he’ll be paid on the 22 of each month.
  • He needs to wait one assessment period (one calendar month) to 21 August – as Universal Credit is paid monthly in arrears.
  • He then needs to allow up to seven days for the money to reach his account.
  • He can expect his first payment no later than 29 August.
  • If 29 August is a bank holiday Monday, he should get payment on the last working day (Friday) before the holiday.
Are you worried about how you’ll manage for money until you get your first payment?
Then find out about advance payments in our guide Universal Credit advance payments and other help

Back to top

How often is Universal Credit paid?

Universal Credit is paid monthly in arrears in England, Wales and Scotland.

However, in Scotland, you can ask for fortnightly payments instead.

In Northern Ireland, the default payment period is every fortnight. But you can choose to get monthly payments.

Back to top

How much is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is made up of a basic allowance plus different elements for things like housing costs, bringing up children, caring or sickness and disability.

The amount you get in Universal Credit can go down or up, depending on what income you get from:

  • working
  • a pension
  • other benefits
  • savings and capital above £6,000.
Find out more about how much Universal Credit you can get, and the different elements, in our guide How much is Universal Credit?

There are no limits on how many hours a week you can work if you’re claiming Universal Credit.

Instead, the amount you get will gradually reduce as you earn more – so you won’t lose all your benefits at once.

To get an estimate of how much Universal Credit you’ll be entitled to, use the calculator on the website Policy in Practice

Back to top

Universal Credit and working

Help to Save

If you’re working and on Universal Credit, you might qualify for a Help to Save account. This gives you up to a 50% bonus from the government on your savings.

Find out more in our guide Help to Save explained

You can work as many hours as you like when you’re on Universal Credit.

There are no limits that there are with existing benefits such as Income Support or Working Tax Credits.

If you’re in paid work, you might be entitled to a work allowance.

Is your household income feeling squeezed by Covid?

Check you’re getting all the benefits or grants you might be entitled to.


Find extra money by signing up for the free Bounce Back service from the experts at Income Max.


Visit the Income Max website

Universal Credit work allowance

Find out more about the work allowance and earnings taper on the Turn2us website

The work allowance is the amount of money you’re allowed to earn before it affects your Universal Credit payment.

You will be entitled to a work allowance if you’re:

  • responsible for dependent children, and/or
  • you can’t work as much because of illness or disability.

If you’re entitled to the work allowance, you can earn up to the threshold for your circumstances.

Your Universal Credit payment will then go down by 63p for every £1 you earn above this amount. This is called the earnings taper.

If you don’t qualify for the work allowance, your Universal Credit payment will go down by 63p for every £1 on all your earnings.

Employer-paid benefits are treated as earnings. For example, Statutory Maternity, Paternity, Adoption and Sick Pay. These are affected by the taper.

What happens to your Universal Credit when you start work or work more hours?

Take a look at the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) video to find out more.

What is Universal Credit?

Back to top

What counts as income for Universal Credit?


If you’re getting a self-employed income support grant, this will need to be reported as income when it’s paid.

Some income that you didn’t get from working can be deducted from your maximum award. This is called unearned income.

Unearned income that will be taken off your Universal Credit payment includes, but isn't limited to:

  • new style Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • new style Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Income
  • some benefits that aren’t replaced by Universal Credit.

Usually, £1 will be deducted from your Universal Credit payment for every £1 of unearned income.

Unearned income that won’t be taken off your Universal Credit payment includes, but isn't limited to:

  • Child Benefit
  • child maintenance payments
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • income from boarders and lodgers.
For a full list of what counts as income for Universal Credit, visit the Revenue Benefits website.

Back to top

How do savings affect Universal Credit?

If you have savings or capital – such as investments or shares – this might affect how much Universal Credit you’ll get.

Find out more in our guide How do savings and lump sum pay-outs affect benefits?

Back to top

How to apply for Universal Credit


If you’re making a new claim for Universal Credit, you don’t have to notify the DWP. If they need to check anything with you, they’ll call or message you through your online journal.

If you’ve used your Government Gateway or Verify account in the past year – for example, to file a Self Assessment tax return – this can be used to prove your identity.

If you’re entitled to claim Universal Credit, you need to claim online on the GOV.UK website

Find out what information you need before you start your claim on the GOV.UK website

Are you and your partner are making a joint claim? Then only one of you will need to complete the online claim form. But that person will need to enter details for both of you.

Help with an online application for Universal Credit

If you’re claiming Universal Credit for the first time, Citizens Advice Help to Claim service is free and confidential. They can help you:

  • check if you’re entitled to Universal Credit, especially if you're getting legacy benefits
  • get your important paperwork and documents together to speed up your application
  • fill out your application online
  • help with any debt, employment or housing issues.

England and Wales

For more details, and to find your nearest branch, go to the Citizens Advice website.

Or, in England, call 0800 144 8444. In Wales, call 0800 024 1220.


Visit Citizens Advice Scotland or call 0800 023 2581.

Northern Ireland

Visit the nidirect website

Access to a computer

If you’re worried about using a computer to make your claim, it’s important you get help. This is because your claim won’t start until you’ve sent your online form. There’s then a five-week wait for your first payment. Any delays can mean you have to wait longer.

If you don’t have access to a computer at home, you might be able to use one for free at:

  • your local jobcentre
  • library
  • Citizens Advice
  • council.

Many jobcentres now offer extra support for people who are struggling to claim online. They can also help you get all the paperwork you need together.

You can also ask the Citizens Advice Help to Claim service to help you fill out the form online.

If you’re new to computers or haven’t felt confident about using them in the past, now is a good time to start building your confidence and knowledge.

You can find free digital skills support in your area on the National Careers Service website. Or, call 0800 100 900.

Find out more about free online courses to help beginners develop digital skills on the website Learn My

Back to top

Advance payment on Universal Credit

Top tip

You can now only apply for a Universal Credit advance payment online if you’ve made a claim within the past five weeks, are waiting for your first payment and have already had an interview at your Jobcentre.

If you’ve been waiting for longer than five weeks for your first payment, you’ll need to apply by calling the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644.

Do you have little or no money until your first payment? Then you can ask an advance payment from your work coach, or by calling the free Universal Credit helpline.

You’ll have to pay this money back within 24 months and the first repayment is usually taken from your first Universal Credit payment. So, it’s important to only ask for what you need.

If you’ve been claiming Universal Credit for six months, you might be able to claim a Budgeting Advance for essential costs.

If you apply for an advance payment, you (and your partner if you are claiming jointly) will need to:

  • explain why you need an advance
  • provide bank account details where the advance should be paid
  • have had your identity checked at a Jobcentre.
Find out more in our guide Universal Credit advance payments and other help

Back to top

Universal Credit scams

Save the real DWP number in your phone book

The DWP used to call from a withheld number, but now it will show on your incoming calls as 0800 023 2635. It’s worth saving this number in your phone’s address book so you know it's a genuine call.

Benefit claimants are being targeted by scammers offering low-cost loans or grants from the government.

You might be called by someone claiming to work for Jobcentre Plus, or contacted through social media ads. Many of the scammers have convincing websites, with government logos and testimonials.

They might ask for your ID and bank details. Then offer to make a claim for Universal Credit and apply for an advance payment on your behalf – taking some of this money as their fee.

However, the full amount of advance payments need to be repaid out of future Universal Credit payments. So you’ll end up paying back the whole amount borrowed.

It’s also important not to be tempted by these offers if you’re already claiming any of the benefits that are being replaced by Universal Credit. For example, tax credits or Housing Benefit.

This is because your old benefits will stop, and the money you get on Universal Credit might be less than you’re getting now.

If you’re offered a government loan and asked to give your ID and bank details, the scammer might be trying to make a Universal Credit application without your knowledge. It’s important to not give out these details – as you might not be entitled to Universal Credit and this could be seen as benefit fraud.

Are you waiting for your first Universal Credit payment and need help applying for an advance payment? Then the Citizens Advice Help to Claim Service will help you get the payment you need for free.

For details, see the ‘Help with an online application for Universal Credit’ section in this guide.

If you’ve been targeted, even if you’ve not a victim of it, you can report it to Action Fraud. Call 0300 123 2040 or use the online reporting tool on Action Fraud
Visit FCA ScamSmart

Read our blog post on Universal Credit scams

Find out more about spotting, avoiding and reporting scams in our guide A beginner’s guide to scams

Back to top

Contact the Universal Credit helpline

If you need help with your claim, call the Universal Credit helpline free on:

Telephone: 0800 328 5644
Textphone: 0800 328 1344

8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday (closed on bank and public holidays). Calls are free.

Find more contact details on the GOV.UK website

Back to top

This article is provided by the MoneyHelper.